As a knitting or crochet pattern designer, you want your patterns to be as clear, concise and easy to follow as possible. You want your customers to enjoy using your patterns. That’s where I come in….my job is to help you polish your patterns before releasing them into the wilds.
With a diverse background in designing, analysis, and numbers ~ I can help you make your patterns the best they can be. As an experienced knitter and crocheter, I am comfortable working with simple to complex techniques. With a corporate background in accounting and analysis, I can determine if your design and grading work together as intended. As a knitwear designer myself, I understand what makes a pattern a pleasure to read and follow.
After completing both the Knitgrrl and Joeli Creates tech editing courses, giving me a view from the ‘other side’, I am combining my background and experience to provide other designers with the high level of tech editing services every designer expects and deserves.
My Services Include…
- math, sizing & grading for errors and/or inconsistencies.
- stitch counts, including stitch pattern multiples, are correct.
- schematics, gauge, and written instructions match.
- charts and written instructions match, and work.
- that the pattern is complete and not missing important information.
- for consistency with your style sheet.
- consistency of capitalization, fractions/decimals, abbreviations, etc.
- the copy for grammar, punctuation, typos and consistency throughout your pattern.
- verify the pattern will produce the item as shown in the photographs.
- when appropriate I will suggest changes for copy, layout, formatting or style that will make your pattern easy to follow.
- a second review after you incorporate edits into the pattern is included in the initial project fee.
- Create charts from written instructions, and vice versa.
- Create vector schematics based on finished measurements.
- Grade for multiple sizes.
- Design pattern layout.
I am currently accepting new clients, and welcome new designers. The first step is to fill out the form on my Contact page with “Tech Editing” in the subject line, and I will reply to you within one or two business days. I am happy to provide a cost estimate for your approval before beginning work on your pattern.
What To Expect…
After receiving your pattern file and completing the editing, I will send back the pattern with any corrections and/or suggestions for you to review. Once you have updated your pattern, you send the updated file to me for a second review. This is our check prior to publishing to ensure that all corrections have been incorporated, and no new errors were introduced. I do not make any changes directly to your pattern, and accepting any corrections and/or suggestions I make is completely up to you.
I work with PDF, Word or RTF files, along with Excel, Stitchmastery, Photoshop and Dropbox if you prefer not to email your files. My specialties are garments, accessories such as shawls, scarves, cowls, socks, mitts, and home decor. (I am not editing amigurumi or toys at this time). Typical turnaround time is approximately 1 week for the initial review, and 48 hrs for the second review, from when I receive your pattern.
Most patterns can be edited for a flat rate. We’ll discuss a fee estimate before I accept your project if it does not fit into one of the following categories:
- simple accessories (cowls, hats, scarves, etc.): $15.00
- complex accessories (gloves, mitt/mittens, socks, shawls, etc.): $30.00
- simple garments (basic shapes, simple stitch patterns, etc.): $40.00
- complex garments (unusual construction, complex stitch patterns, etc.): $80.00
Please contact me for a quote on Additional Services.
I will invoice you after the editing is completed and we are both satisfied with the final pattern. I currently accept payment by Paypal in USD.
As both a tech editor and designer, I understand how important it is for your pattern to be error free and easy to follow. I want you to be happy with your final pattern, and guarantee my work. If any errors are discovered in my work, I will re-review the pattern and any required errata as part of my initial fee.
Please contact me through my Contact form if you have any questions or would like more information. I look forward to working with you!